All smiles are not created equal, but a bright, white grinÂ can and should be high on everyone’s list of must-haves.Â It takes years off your looks and leavesÂ a great lasting impression to everyone you meet.First and foremost, the health of your mouth should be top priority.
TOP TIPS FOR A HEALTHY MOUTH
- Visit your dentist regularly. For most people, checkups and cleanings are recommended twice a year so dental issues can be caught early when treatment is still manageable.
- Use a soft toothbrush. Dentists usually recommend soft-bristled toothbrushes because they effectivelyÂ clean teeth withoutÂ aggravating sensitive teeth or gums.
- Floss daily. Recent studies find that the bacteria commonly found on the teeth and gums has been shown to be in the bloodstream of patients with strokes, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
- Scrape your tongue often. It will improve your breath and help preventÂ periodontal problems like plaque build-up, cavities, and gum issues.
“White, straight, and longer upper teeth are more youthful looking,” says NYC-based top cosmetic dentist,Â Dr. Marc LowenbergÂ ofÂ Lowenberg, Lituchy & Kantor. Though the color of your teeth don’t affect their health, stained or yellowed teeth can look unsightly and make you appear older than you are. To keep them from darkening, avoid intensely colored staining foods and drinks. Popular offendersÂ are coffee, tea, red wine,Â soda, blueberries, and tobacco.
“It’s an amazing feeling to make people look better and younger simply by changing their smile,” says Dr. Lowenberg. His philosophy is definitely not a one-size-fits-all practice. “What looks goodÂ in one personâ€™s mouth will not look good in someone elseâ€™s mouth. It’s essential to create a smile that’s just right for each individual.”
With Dr. Lowenberg’s expert tips you’ll be proud to grin and bare it:
- At-Home Whitening:Â Crest 3D White Luxe Whitestrips are a great option for at-home whitening on a budget. The bleach within the strips remains in contact with the tooth enamel long enough to deliver noticeable results. Whitening strips combined with daily use of a whitening toothpaste are an affordable alternative to maintaining a bright smile.
- In-Office Whitening:Â Power bleaching combined with custom take home trays made by your dentist is the most effective way to bleach your teeth. We use Zoom which requires three 15-minute cycles with another added if necessary. The effectiveness of a bleaching agent is based on two factors. 1) The percentage of hydrogen peroxide (the active bleaching agent) and 2) how well the bleaching agent remains isolated on the teeth. The reason why in-office whitening is the most effective is because the concentration of hydrogen peroxide is very high, and the bleach remains isolated on the teeth very well for an ample amount of time. The bleaching trays are meant to boost the in-office treatment as well as maintain the effectiveness.
- Porcelain Veneers:Â Veneers canÂ re-create perfect, natural-looking teethÂ in justÂ two visits (spaced a week apart), and cannot only straighten the teeth but can also change the color and shape of the teeth.Â At the first visit, the tooth enamel is slightly roughened to prepare it for the veneers. At the second visit, the temporaries are removed and the customized porcelain veneers are bonded or glued onto the teeth, completing the transformation of your smile.
- Invisalign: Most adults who want to correct their crowded teeth aren’t wearing braces, making Invisalign very popular among adults. Invisalign is basically clear retainers (that are changed every two weeks) that slowly move the teeth into the correct position.