Photo Credit: depositphotos.com
What do Taylor Swift, Rachel McAdams, Brie Larson Hailee Steinfeld and Poppy Delevingne have in common? They all donned deep, dark lips on the 2016 Met Gala Red Carpet. It is a statement making look, so if you decide to wear this trend be prepared to exude confidence since all eyes will be on you.
To pull it off with pizzazz without looking like you’re trying too hard, here’s what you need to know:
7 TROUBLESHOOTING TACTICS
- Deep, dark lip colors look great at evening events. Keep your hair and the rest of your makeup simple. A pulled-back ponytail or other low-keyÂ style and natural-looking, understated makeup complement this look best.
- Choose your shade carefully. Do you look best in lipsticks with pink, brown, red or blue undertones? If you’re not sure which will work for you, take it for a test drive. If it makes you look tired or sallow, keep sampling. If your eyes sparkle and you look radiant, that’s the one you want.
- Darker shades can get very messy so you need to be precise when applying. The best way to apply blood red lips is with a lip brush. Start at the outer corner of your mouth and work your way towards the center of your pout before filling in the rest. You can also line your lips with a matching lip pencil before filling in your lips with the lips with your lipstick.
- If you have thin lips, dark lipstick can make them appear even thinner. The key to making it work for you is to start with a sheer lip stain in a similar hue. Then, use a lip pencil in a matching shade to fill out the lip just a bit past your lip line before coloring in the lines with your lipstick. *Another option for thin lips is to apply a dab of a lighter colored lipstick or a hint of gloss in the center of your lips to give the illusion of fuller lips.
- You can prevent your lipstick from bleeding into lip lines by dipping a Q-tip into translucent powder and gently applying it along your lips’ perimeter.
- A model’s trick to prevent lipstick from getting on your teeth is to stick your finger in your mouth closing your lips around it. Then very slowly, pull your finger out of your mouth. This will remove any excess color that could and would end up on your teeth.
- Not sure if you can pull off the trend? Start slowly. Use your finger to apply the lipstick as a stain, rubbing it into your lips. You’ll still get a deep, dark pout, albeit a less intense version and one you’ll feel comfortable wearing.
Nars Audacious Lipstick in Liv ($32) is a deep aubergine hue enriched with smoothing, nourishing ingredients in a full coverage, high-impact and long-lasting formula.
Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution in Birken Brown ($32), formulated with 3D glowing pigments, will create the illusion of wider, fuller lips. It also contains anti-oxidant tree extract plus soothing and hydrating orchid extract for younger-looking, healthy lips.
Smashbox Be Legendary Matte Lipstick in Screen Queen ($21), a burgundy wine hue, has super-saturated pigments so it lasts and lasts plus it’s vitamin-fortified to keep lips soft and supple.
*NOTE: All lipsticks were sampled in store. Opinions are myÂ own.