Photo Credit: depositphotos.com
It is well known that color can influence perception. Well, the color red certainly knows how to get noticed. Its associated with passion, energy, youthfulness, confidence and power, making Benjamin Moore’s 2018 Color of the YearÂ a pretty exciting pick!
Caliente is a dramatic and bold choice that works well as a pop of color in the home — think a statement wall, throw pillows and art, and carries over very nicely into the world of beauty. It is definitely well suited to be the perfect lip pick since when it comes to lip color, red is as hot as they come and quite versatile. The red lip comes in a range of hues and finishes to flatter all coloring and all personality types, will never be out of style, pairs equally well with super casual clothes and upscale attire, and is the perfect finishing touch.
- Gently buff lips with a soft-bristled toothbrush and apply a touch of balm before blotting away excess.
- Dab a bit of foundation on lips to neutralize your natural lip color and keep any color applied true to tube.
- Line your lips with a pencil that closely matches your lipstick and then color in the lines by filling in your entire lip with the same pencil.
- Use an angled lipstick brush to fill in your lips with the lipstick.
- Finish with a dusting of translucent powder to set your lipstick. Note: You can blot lips and apply an additional coat of lipstick as well as another dusting of translucent powder for even longer wear.
*If you usually shy away from a bold crimson lip, you can still comfortably pull off the look by blotting it down. To do so, apply just a bit of lipstick to your lips and rub it in with your fingertip or swipe it on the usual way and blot, blot, blot with a tissue to tone down the intensity for a more natural version.
3 PRETTY LIP PICKS:
It Cosmetics Your Lips But Better All-Day Waterproof Lip Liner Stain in Perfect Red ($20) does triple duty as a liner, primer or all-over lip stain that goes on smoothly and easily thanks to the twist-up pencil applicator. The anti-oxidant rich formula also includes collagen, silk, peptides, avocado oil, Shea butter and hyaluronic acid for a lip-loving, long-lasting, waterproof, hydrating finish that prevents budging, smudging and feathering. Wear alone, under your favorite red lipstick or top with gloss.
Nars Audacious Lipstick in Shirley ($34) has a high color payoff so it saturates lips with bold color in a single stroke. The luxe formula is enriched with nourishing ingredients, goes on creamy and delivers long-lasting wear that won’t bleed or feather.
MAC Matte Lipstick in Red Rock ($17.50) is from the product line that put MAC on the map so you know it’s great. It is super rich in pigment, delivers a no-shine matte finish and has a creamy formula that glides on effortlessly.
NOTE: All lip picks were purchased or tested in store. Opinions are my own.Â