Are you no longer a teenager, but still battling annoying breakouts while also fighting the signs of aging. A small consolation, but the good news is you are not alone. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, 40 to 50 million Americans have acne at some point in their life, and it is the most common skin problem in the US.
“Acne is always caused by hormonal imbalances, usually too much male hormone (testosterone) or not enough female hormone (estrogen) in a person’s system,” says New York City-based dermatologist Judith Hellman. “Even if the levels of those are in the normal range, an abnormal male to female hormone ratio can affect the skin.”
Red, inflamed bumps form w
Photo Credit: elureskin.com
Summer is the time to show some skin, but if your complexion is showing signs of previous sun indulgences, take care of that now. Fine lines, wrinkles and discolorations can be eliminated or minimized by the new crop of professional and at-home treatments. And once you have perfected your complexion, maintain it by protecting your skin everyday with an effective top-of-the line sunscreen. Here’s how to perfect and protect in two easy steps.
STEP 1: Erase signs of existing sun damage with radio frequency devices and/or topical treatments. These are two of our favorite options.
eTwo – This recently FDA-cleared aesthetic device focuses on facial rejuvenation with two unique treatments
- MEET ELLEN GENDLER, MD – NEW YORK CITY BOARD-CERTIFIED DERMATOLOGIST
- WE TRIED DEFENAGE 6-WEEK PERFECTION NECK CREAM AND HERE’S WHAT HAPPENED
- MEET MARK HAMILTON, MD – FACIAL PLASTIC SURGEON AND CHAIRMAN OF THE PUBLIC INFORMATION COMMITTEE FOR THE AAFPRS
- SPONSORED – CHECK OUT THE SHOPBOP BLACK FRIDAY SALE
- MEET PAUL J. CARNIOL, MD – NEW JERSEY FACIAL PLASTIC SURGEON AND PRESIDENT OF THE AAFPRS