The beauty industry is mourning the loss of Horst Rechelbacher, environmentalist, author, hairstylist, and founder of Aveda and Intelligent Nutrients. He died on February 15, 2014 in Minneapolis at the age of 72, after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2011. His creation of Aveda in 1978, which was inspired by Indian ayurvedic therapies, ushered in a new natural product consciousness in the world of beauty.
Reckelbacher was born in Klagenburt, Austria to an herbalist and shoemaker/designer. His childhood apartment was located across the street from a hair salon and by the age of 14, he became a hairstylist apprentice.
At age 17, he moved to Rome to work in a high-profile salo
- MEET SONIA KHEMIRI AND SYLVIE GIRET – CO-FOUNDERS OF BEAUTYQUE NYC
- SPONSORED: SHOPBOP SUMMER SALE IS HERE!
- MEET DR. LARA DEVGAN – BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON AND REALSELF CHIEF MEDICAL EDITOR
- MEET DR. ROBERT MORIN – PLASTIC SURGEON, CRANIOFACIAL SURGEON AND PEDIATRIC PLASTIC SURGEON
- #STAYTHEFHOME – TRY THESE NEW K-BEAUTY PRODUCTS