Over 1 in 4 women will experience hereditary hair loss in her lifetime, beginning as early as their second decade in some cases. When you start to see hair in your comb or brush, on your pillow, or in the bathroom sink, it could be the first sign.
“Men expect to lose their hair, but women do not,” says New York City Dermatologist, Dr. Doris Day. When women begin to notice their hair is thinning they internalize it — questioning their lifestyle, diet, exercise, and stress levels. “The key to effective treatment is to begin at the first signs of thinning just as you would with any other anti-aging beauty concern,” she says.
Hereditary hair thinning is a very common problem in women that is caused by some combination of genetics, hormone levels, and aging. According to Washington DC Dermatologist Dr. Rebecca Kazin, “Hair loss affects men and women of all ages. Genetic predisposition, hormones, thyroid disease, medications, stress, autoimmune disorders, burns, and nutritional deficiencies can all contribute to hair loss. Female hair loss, characterized more by diffuse thinning than patterned balding as in men, is caused primarily by androgenetic alopecia, hair follicle disease and trauma.”
But there is a new solution for women only. Women’s ROGAINE® TOPICAL AEROSOL is the first and only FDA-approved once daily treatment with 5% minoxidil clinically proven to regrow hair. Unlike volumizers and thickeners, Women’s ROGAINE® helps to reactivate the follicle. This easy to use foam contains the highest concentration of minoxidil available over the counter. Clinical studies found that when using Women’s ROGAINE® Foam once daily, every day, 81%* of the women regrew hair with new hairs coming in up to 48%** thicker than before.
According to Dr. Kazin, there are 6 ways to tame your shedding by changing your daily routine:
1. Use a natural bristle brush. Plastic or artificial brushes can be aggressive on hair and scalp.
2. Switch your appliances to a cooler setting. Heat is extremely damaging to hair.
3. Use protein-based conditioners to help restore the natural oils that are removed from hair and scalp from shampooing.
4. Avoid wearing a tight ponytail that can weaken hair and cause breakage.
5. Splurge for the salon. Some home color kits contain harsh chemicals that alter the stability of the hair and weaken its integrity.
6. Eat more leafy vegetables and eggs that are rich in calcium and iron.
Women’s ROGAINE® 5 % Minoxidil Topical Aerosol will be available nationwide in November at drugstores nationwide at $ 29.99 for a 2-month supply and $49.99 for a 4-month supply.
*, ** Data on file