Meet the Beauty Businesswoman
As Global Vice President, Research & Development, Johnson & Johnson Beauty Care Global Business Unit, May is no doubt one to watch. She has been a major player in the skincare industry, spending over 18 years at Unilever before joining J&J. Dr. Shana’a earned her Ph.D. in Chemistry, Masters in Analytical Science and Post Graduate degree in Chemistry all from the University of Hull in the United Kingdom. In 2002 she received the Brandweek “Marketer of the Year” Award for the successful brand launch of Dove Nutrium Bar & Body Wash.
How many new products does Johnson & Johnson Beauty Care launch in a typical year and what categories does that span?
Johnson & Johnson Beauty Care launches over 200 products per year, these products span a wide variety of categories from cosmetics, to cleansers, body and face moisturizers, acne treatments, sun care products anti-aging creams, lotions, and other skin care devices.
What are your personal favorite products you have developed for J&J and why?
This is like asking which one of you children you love most…
- I love all Neutrogena face cleansers, Aveeno Positively Radiant Exfoliating Body Wash and my newest obsession is the Aveeno Nourish + Volumize Shampoo and Conditioner
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer SPF 55 with Helioplex (broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection). It has wonderful aesthetics and it’s non greasy and lightly fragranced. Applying it everyday is part of my beauty ritual.
- Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion with natural colloidal oatmeal. I apply it immediately after I shower to help moisturize my skin, and it lasts all day.
- Retinol is key to younger looking skin. To keep the wrinkles at bay I use a three step regimen: RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Serum, RoC Retinol Correxion Daily Moisturizer SPF 30 (during the day) and RoC Retinol Correxion Night Cream (in the evening).
- Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup SPF 20 (natural tan 100). It’s light weight but provides even coverage that blends well with my natural skin tone.
- Moisture Shine Lipstick SPF 20. The ultra moisturizing formula contains Brazilian palm butter, so it keeps lips fully moist for a long time (8 hours).
- Water proof mascara is a must for me. The Neutrogena Cosmetics Healthy Volume Mascara works wonders, and it’s formulated with olive oil to plump lashes while conditioning them.
How has mass skin care evolved in the past 5 years?
- By far the biggest innovation in skincare in the past 5 years was the game-changing introduction of photostable UVA/UVB sun protection, which is now found in everything from recreational sun block to lipstick.
- The growth in the naturals category has also made quite an impact on the category with more companies bringing natural brands to mass than ever before.
- Minerals is also a trend that we’ve seen dominate in cosmetics.
- I think it’s also interesting to see the overall shift from cleansing bars to liquid soaps.
What is your #1 best selling beauty care product under the J&J umbrella?
It’s impossible to say what’s the best-selling beauty care product at J&J. We have so many brands that are leaders in their respective categories and seasonally, however I can’t pinpoint one overarching top seller.
Are you a mom?
No, I already have 200+ children per year at JnJ 😉
What’s your favorite bag?
I like bags with lots of space. If I had to choose it would be a toss up between Zip lock and Prada.