Photo Credit: rejigdesign.com
Like most of us, when I was a kid I had to be coaxed to take a bath. These days? No strong-arm is required! In my mind, a soak in the tub can rival a trip to a day spa. I set aside at least a half hour to luxuriate in a hot tub full of salts, oils or bubbles and depending on my mood will just close my eyes and relax, listen to music or read.
The primary purpose of a bath is to get you clean, but its other benefits far outweigh its practicalities:
- It’s therapeutic. Add-ins like pure essential oils can make your bath curative. Mix 5-10 drops of your favorite essential oils with a carrier oil like jojoba or sweet almond oil, before adding to your bathwater. Try bergamot, lavender or neroli to relax, or lemon, peppermint or rosemary for a boost of energy.
- It helps you fall asleep. A bath before bed is like popping a sleeping pill, without the side effects. A relaxing, warm bath slowly raises your body’s temperature but surprisingly, it’s not the heat that puts you to sleep. The cool-off period post-bath sends a signal to your body that it’s time to go to sleep.
- It can relieve cold symptoms. The humidity from the steamy, bath water can help moisturize dry, irritated nasal passages. The heat can assuage achy muscles.
- It’s an escape. Turn off your iPhone, shut the bathroom door, dim the lights, turn on soft soft music, light a candle or two, and give yourself 20 or more uninterrupted minutes of de-stressing “me” time.
- It helps you detox. A hot bath will cause you to break into a sweat which revs up your lymphatic system and helps move toxins out of the body.
6 PRODUCTS TO ELEVATE YOUR BATH TO SPA STATUS:
Diptyque Paris Precious Oils for Body & Bath ($78) can be added to the bath or massaged directly into the skin for a super soft finish that feels as great as it smells. Nourishing sweet almond, argan and macadamia oils mix with the scent of Florentine iris for a delectable blend that’s guilty of doubling my bath time.
Jo Malone™ Dark Amber & Ginger Lily Candle ($80) This delicious fragrance is a mixture of woody and floral notes that will become addictive at first whiff. We love the stunning black glass and silver lid too.
Kiehl’s Lavender Foaming-Relaxing Bath with Sea Salts and Aloe ($30) will be your go-to when you need to feel like you haven’t a care in the world. Add up to three capfuls under running water for a sensory, skin-loving, de-stressing experience. Aloe Vera soothes and comforts, plant-based glycerin boosts moisture levels and lavender and Dead Sea salts relax and restore.
Molton Brown Re-charge Black Pepper Bodyscrub Bar ($22) gets the job done. Black peppercorns smoothe and exfoliate, anti-oxidant rich oil moisturizes and protects and bergamot and oak moss leave you fresh and lightly fragranced.
Bulgari Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert Bath & Shower Gel ($42) is luxury in a bottle. Orange blossom water and green tea extract refresh while jasmine extract renews and protects.
Glo Therapeutics Smoothing Salt Scrub ($31.50) comes in delectable lavender mint. Gently massage in this essential oil / Dead Sea salts blend to dry areas before lowering your bod into a steamy tub to smooth, nourish and reveal brighter, healthier looking skin.