Photo Credit: depositphotos.com
When I’m not wearing my hair loose, my go-to style is a simple pulled-back pony or a super messy updo. While there’s nothing wrong with eitherÂ of these, I know it is high time I stepped out of my comfort zone and learned some new styling tricks so I can give myself a professional looking updo whenever I want, without having to make an appointment to sit in a stylists chair and drop a nice chunk of change while I’m at it.
To the rescue is Austin, Texas-based artist Meghan Hopkins, who is certainly pedigreed enough to satisfy me and my Beauty in the Bag readers. She’s a Redken Master Stylist, Level 4, has Elite Redken Design and Color Certifications, is Cinderella Extensions Certified, an Artist with Pureology Serious Colour Care in New York City, teaches classes nationally and at Cobalt Blue in Austin, TX and her work has been published in numerous media outlets including Italian Vogue.
Hopkins says it’s crucial to â€œcreate a solid foundation before putting your hair up to create a strong, long-lasting updo that still looks soft and flexible.â€ To give your updo some major staying power and perfect your technique, Hopkins recommends the following:
FOR ADDED HEIGHT AND A SOLID FOUNDATION
- You can build extra height at the crown by working on root direction during blow drying. Spray a root lifting product from roots to ends (all over). Then, use a round brush to get maximum lift at the roots, followed by a cushion brush to polish the midshaft through the ends. Note: A dry blow will help to smooth curl patterns, cowlicks and cuticles for a more polished look.
- Crimp roots and midshaft to add texture and volume for a secure foundation for the updo.
- Do a curl set to get a bend on the ends and more lift at the roots. Spray each section with hairspray to to help hold the set.
- Tease your hair heavily at the roots to get maximum volume.
FOR A POLISHED FINISH
- Spray a shine spray or hairspray on a large powder makeup brush and lightly go over finished updo smoothing flyaways for a flawless finish.
- When working on your style, always spray your product, blow dry and work in the direction of your cuticle so it lays flat and keeps your style looking as smooth as possible.
PERFECT PRODUCT PICKS
Pureology Colour Stylist Root Lift ($24.50) addsÂ a boost to your roots and promotes fullness throughout your strands. It also adds shine, protects your color with a UV filter and won’t feel stiff or sticky.
Living Proof Flex Shaping Hairspray ($25) gives your hair hold, whether it’s sprayed onÂ to set, style or finish your look. It can be used on damp or dry hair and also offers heat protection from heat styling.
Bumble and bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Dry Oil Finishing Spray ($34)Â blends Grapeseed Oil,Â Safflower Seed Oil,Â Sweet Almond Oil,Â Macadamia Nut Oil,Â Argan Oil,Â Coconut Oil for instant radiance, softness and frizz-free locks, plus it’s ultra-lightweight so it won’t weigh hair down.
*NOTE: Products were tested in store. Opinions are my own.Â