July 29th is National Lipstick Day, a day that pays homage to the little black dress of makeup. With just one swipe you can look polished, sophisticated, full of confidence and have more than your fair share of sex appeal. But, choose wisely…your lipstick can do so much more than add color:
- The right lipstick will make your teeth look whiter. Opt for blue-based pinks and reds to brighten your pearly whites. If whiter, brighter teeth are what you’re after you’ll want to avoid coral shades, those with yellow undertones and anything too dark.
- Since lips don’t contain melanin, they’re particularly prone to sunburn and the damaging and aging rays of the sun in general. Look for lipsticks containing SPF15 or higher as well as matte and opaque formulas for the best sun protection.
- The latest lipstick formulas will keep your lips healthy and hydrated. If moisture is what you’re after there go for those made with nourishing ingredients like vitamins, butters and oils.
- Want fuller-looking lips? You can fake a fuller pout by adding a hint of highlighter or a lighter shade of lipstick in the center of your lips.
- You can even enhance your eyes by wearing particular lipstick shades. If you’ve got blue eyes try pinks and rose-toned lipsticks. Green eyes get a boost from plum and wine shades. Brown-eyed girls look great in corals and blue-reds while those with hazel eyes shine in fuchsia and plum hues.
5 Lip Tips:
- The easiest, most natural and flattering shade for all is one that’s just a shade or so deeper than your natural lip tone–most likely in the rose-toned family.
- If you have vertical lip lines around your mouth, avoid deep, dark tones (which will more easily “bleed” into them) and choose and stick with more neutral toned colors instead.
When working with bright or deep shades use a lip brush for the best precision.
- Creamy lipsticks with a bit of shine are the most youthful looking.
- To give your lipstick staying power, apply it, blot with a tissue and apply again.
- For true-to-tube color, apply foundation to your lips before applying your lipstick.
Pucker Up With These 3 Pretty Ways to Add Moisture and Color:
Chanel Rouge Coco in Gabrielle ($36) is extremely hydrating due to a formula infused with Jojoba and Mimosa Butters, Sunflower Wax and silicone. You’ll absolutely love its buttery, silky-smooth texture and luminous finish.
Jouer Hydrating Lipstick in Kate ($24) coats lips with saturated color plus it contains Brazil’s Cupuaçu Butter to protect and nourish as well.
Mally Beauty Instant Impact Lipstick Duo in Fierce Pinky Coral and Nude ($40) is a long-wearing, highly pigmented, moisturizing duo that utilizes Mally’s groundbreaking technology so lipstick won’t feather or travel–it stays exactly where you put it! Infused with Vitamin E, mango butter, and almond oil, it delivers mega moisture and shine so lips look and feel healthy and best of all, the gorgeous colors stay put for hours.