Photo Credit: latimes.com
When it comes to awards shows, the names of the fashion designers and jewelers who adorn the leading ladies are no secret, but the professionals and brands behind the beautyâ€”which plays an integral role in the overall impressionâ€”are a different story. No red-carpet appearance is possible without an extensive glam squad that covers everything from makeup and hair to nails and faux tanning (and beyond), and we think these artists deserve their fair share of credit. Here, a few of the most buzzed-about beauty looks from the Emmy Awardsâ€”and step-by-step directions for recreating them yourself!
Breaking the record for the most Emmy wins by one performer in the same role is no small featâ€”and Juliaâ€™s face game was equally as strong. Makeup artist Karen Kawahara was the mastermind behind this masterpiece, and she used La Prairie to prep Juliaâ€™s skin and create the look that will forever be associated with this historic evening.
- Kawahara started with Skin Caviar Essence-in-Lotion to hydrate the skin and prepare it for the serums and moisturizer that followed.
- She applied two drops of the Skin Caviar Liquid Lift, a serum formulated to naturally tense and tighten the skin.
- As a last prep step, Kawahara used the new Skin Caviar Absolute Filler moisturizer to plump the skin.
- Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation Sunscreen SPF 15 was used to create a luminous and even tone.
- Light Fantastic Cellular Concealing Brightening Eye Treatment pen was applied under the eye and on the balls of the cheeks to highlight the cheeks and diffuse light under the eyes.
- Kawahara used a round blush brush to apply Cellular Radiance Cream Blush in â€œRose Glowâ€ before layering â€œPeach Glowâ€ over it to create a luminescent rose gold effect.
- Juliaâ€™s lash lines were outlined with the Luxe Eyeliner Automatique in â€œBrunâ€ and Kawahara smudged color at the outer corners to create a lifted look.
- The Cellular Treatment Eye Colour Ensemble in â€œLes Epicesâ€ was applied with the sponge applicator over the eyeliner and blended up into the brow bone area.
- Kawahara used the Cellular Treatment Mascara Instant Curl in â€œNoir,â€ starting the brush at the baseline of the lashes then rolling the brush up as she got closer to the tips for maximum curling effect.
- Juliaâ€™s brows were filled in lightly with the Luxe Brow Liner Automatique in â€œBrun.â€
- To minimize shine for the cameras, KawaharaÂ dusted the skin with Cellular Treatment Loose Powder.
- Kawahara completed the look with Cellular Luxe Lip Liner in â€œBeaujolaisâ€ followed by Cellular Luxe Lip Colour in â€œRose Bronze.â€
Elisabeth first caught our attention as â€œPeggyâ€ in Mad Men, but seven Emmy nominations (and two wins laterâ€”thanks to her producerâ€™s credit), her role in The Handmaidâ€™s Tale has catapulted her into the Hollywood stratosphere. With seemingly infinite star power at the moment, she needed makeup to match, and Dior makeup artist Daniel Martin was up to the task. Using her pale pink custom Prabal Gurung dress as inspiration, he created a feminine, ethereal look with strategically placed color.
- To start Elisabethâ€™s look, Martin evened out her skin withÂ Diorskin Forever Foundation and Diorskin Forever Undercover Concealer.
- To set the concealer and blend, he used the newÂ Dior Skin Forever Extreme Control.
- For her cheeks, Martin wanted a brighter pink to give Elisabeth a natural flush, so he applied Diorblush inÂ â€œLucky Pinkâ€ before highlighting and softening the blush withÂ Diorskin Nude Air LuminizerÂ in â€œPink Glow.”
- Martin used the lighter shades in the Dior showÂ Dior 5 CouleursÂ â€œElectrifyâ€ palette for a soft wash of color. He then applied Diorshow Mono Eye Shadow in â€œBackstageâ€ withÂ his finger to press the pigment into the lid. For even more punch, he applied a touch ofÂ Diorshow Fusion Mono Eye Shadow in â€œLuneâ€ to the inner corners of Elisabethâ€™s eyes.
- Diorshow Waterproof Mascara in â€œBlack” was the perfect finishing touch, and he added Dior Bold Brow in â€œLightâ€ for a nicely defined brow.
- For the lips, Martin used the new Rouge Dior Liquid Lip Stain in â€œMiss Satin.â€
PRO TIP:Â Martin says, “When using a bright cheek color, IÂ recommend using a dual fiber face brush to create a transparent pop of color on the cheeks. This picks up enough pigment but diffuses during application so it not too harsh on the face.”
She may have only been a presenter this year, we fully expect to see Debra Messing at the Emmys next year after her much-anticipated reprise in Will & Grace 2.0. Her â€œbronzed goddessâ€ look was created by Jeannia Robinette, who used LancÃ´me products to prep her skin and create the modern, classy look that placed focus on the eyes while leaving the rest of the face looking flawless yet natural.
- Robinette started by prepping Debraâ€™s skin with the LancÃ´me Absolue Lâ€™Extrait Ultimate EyeÂ Patch before applying the Advanced GÃ©nifique Sensitive SerumÂ all over her face and LancÃ´me Visionnaire YeuxÂ under the eyes as a moisturizer and primer.
- She used Teint Idole Ultra Cushion Foundation mixed with Teint Idole Ultra Longwear Foundation Stick to give her a bronzed look (and tucked it into her evening bag for touch-ups).
- For under the eyes, Robinette used Teint Idole Ultra Wear Camouflage Concealer.
- To really go for the glow, Robinette appliedStar Bronzer #2Â to Debraâ€™s cheeks before adding a bit of Dual Finish Highlighter in â€œLuminous Goldâ€Â to the tops of the cheekbones to enhance her glow.
- Robinette finished off the cheeks with the Blush Subtil Palette in â€œNew Nude.â€
- To create the base for the eyes, Robinette used the copper shade from the Color Design 5-Pan Eyeshadow Palette in â€œKissed by Goldâ€Â all over the eyelid. Next, she added the eggplant shade fromÂ the Color Design 5-Pan Eyeshadow Palette in â€œOlive Soleilâ€Â to the crease of the eyelid.
- Under the eye, Robinette used the Drama Liqui-Pencil in â€œChantillyâ€Â and blended it out with her finger for a soft, light gold look.
- For super-bold lashes, Robinette layered on Monsieur Big MascaraÂ to the top and bottom lashes.
- The Ombre Hypnose Stylo in Onyx (coming in October)Â was applied to the inner and outer corners of the eyes to tie the look together, and the Sourcils Styler in â€œBrunâ€ added was used to add subtle definition.
- For the lips, Robinette prepped with the Absolute Precious Cells Nourishing Cells Lip Balm before lining the lips with Le Lipstique in â€œBronzelleâ€ and applying a light swipe of Lâ€™Absolu Rouge in â€œTimideâ€ for a barely-there nude lip.