Photo Credit: beautyinthebag.com
At the recent 2014 Emmy Awards, Breaking Bad actor Bryan Cranston’s receding hairline looked a bit more bountiful than usual, and it accompanied aÂ new pencil mustache. In fact, regarding Bryan Cranston’s new look (a big change from hisÂ bald look on Breaking Bad), Metro New York tweeted about Cranston, saying, “He’s applying Rogaine everywhere.”
True or in jest, he certainly wouldn’t be the only manÂ looking to regain lost hair through ROGAINEÂ®. At least 50% of men experience some form of hair loss by the time they’re 50 years old.Â A thick head of hair is something that’s often taken for granted…until it’s gone. According to Washington DC dermatologist and hair restoration surgeon Terrence Keaney, “Androgenetic Alopecia or male pattern baldness (MPB) accounts for over 95% of hair loss in men. By age of thirty-five, about two-thirds of men in the U.S. will hair loss to some degree. By the age of 50, about 85% of men will experience visible hair thinning.”
In partnership with ROGAINEÂ®, Diana Schmidtke, one of the worldâ€™s foremost celebrity grooming experts, shares herÂ favorite grooming tips, tricks, and her predictions on upcoming hair trends for men.
5Â Doâ€™s and Donâ€™ts for Thinning Hair
- Using the right styling products is key, especially for men with thinning hair. Avoid pomades and gels, which are high in shine and can give the appearance of thinner hair. Instead, opt for products that have a matte finish like a paste, clay, volumizing spray or dry shampoo.
- Treat the scalp and hair gently, especially after a showerâ€”wet hair has more elasticity, making it more prone to damage. Always pat hair dry instead of vigorously rubbing it with a towel.
- When hair starts to thin, choosing the right haircut is more important than ever. Shorter cuts with blunt lines are great options forÂ thinning hair.
- The right haircut and styling products can help mask thinning, but they wonâ€™t stop hair loss or help regrow the hair youâ€™ve already lost. As soon as you notice signs of thinning, itâ€™s time to take action and start using Menâ€™s ROGAINEÂ® Unscented Foam twice a day, every day. It works in 9 out of 10 guys!
- Talk to your stylist about any hair concerns you may be having. They have an arsenal of tools and advice that can help!
Upcoming Grooming Trends
- The looks of the 1950s and 1960s continue to be popular. To achieve the modernized James Dean look, ask for aÂ style with shaved sides, higher hair on top, and aÂ squared shape.
- Â The bedhead look is still a popular trend with no signs of slowing down. For this loose, undone look, go light on the styling products. Rub just a little bit of mattifying product on your hands and fingertips and run them through your hair quickly from front to back, making sure it is distributed evenly.
- During the summer, we tend to see shorter hair trends, while in the winter hair trends are longer with coordinated facial hair. Trim your facial hair accordingly, or opt for the always-perfect 5 oâ€™clock shadow look.
Diana says, “A man is sexiest when he feels confident, embraces who he is, and has something special to offer to the world.” Hair or no hair, we couldn’t agree more!