When I go on Facebook or bump into old friends I haven’t seen in forever a huge majority of former dirty blondes, redheads, mousy browns and even rich brunettes are now striking blondes. It’s not difficult to see why so many women take the plunge. Most look fabulous!
I say most because though there’s a right shade of blonde for almost everyone, some women will find it a challenge to find the right shade. If your skin tone is cool and you have blue or green eyes or if you were blonde, strawberry or light brown as a child, chances are you’ll look naturally gorgeous with blonde hair. If however you had dark hair as a child, have a warm complexion or brown eyes you should consult with a colorist to find your best shade. It might never look natural but it can still look fabulous. Just look at Jennifer Lopez, Nicole Richie, Jennifer Aniston and even Kim Kardashian–they sure know how to rock it!
Going blonde brings light to your face so your complexion looks luminous and if you’re going gray it will camouflage it better than other shades, buying you a bit of extra time between coloring sessions. No matter what color is your shade of choice, you need to take care of it so it looks its best as long as possible.
Here, 8 ways to make your color last:
- Avoid washing your hair for two to three days after coloring.
- Always use a shampoo and conditioner specifically suited for color-treated hair
- Skip the long, hot shower and give your hair a quick rinse with tepid water instead.
- Don’t shampoo every day. If you tend to get greasy, use dry shampoo at the roots when needed.
- Use a weekly deep conditioner to help you hold color longer.
- Don’t use hair products with alcohol listed as one of the first few ingredients since it can dry out the hair and promote fading.
- Spritz on a heat protectant product before using any high-heat styling tools like flat irons, curling irons and blow dryers.
- Always wear a hat or use spray in sun protection before heading out into the sun for any extended period of time.
The downsides to coloring your hair?
- Maintaining it in a salon can be extremely costly.
- Coloring at home can leave you with one dimensional, flat-looking color.
- Unsightly roots show too quickly.
Fortunately, L’Oreal’s new product takes at-home hair color to a whole new level. L’Oreal Excellence Age Perfect Hair Color ($9) is specifically formulated for mature hair. This game-changer utilizes innovative layered tone technology by adapting differently to gray strands and pigmented strands so you’ll get color full of highlights and lowlights. The best part about it being multi-dimensional is that regrowth is much less noticeable so besides the money you’ll save by leaving your colorist behind you’ll also save time on touch-ups. It also delivers 100% gray coverage, leaves your hair full of volume and shine and there’s eight shades to choose from.
The downside to L’Oreal’s new at-home haircolor? It’s only available for blondes – bummer. I know I’ve got my fingers crossed that L’Oreal works their magic and comes up with a brunette version stat!