WHAT BECOMES A LEGEND MOST? THE MAKING OF A BEAUTY ICON
10 Classics We Just Can’t Live Without
What make a beauty legend? In most cases, it is purely an accident. A product gets launched that becomes a cult favorite, and then it is grandfathered down from generation to generation. The brand may never even have seen it coming.
These get our votes for the best of the bunch.
1. Maybelline New York Great Lash Mascara: Great Lash was launched in 1971 and is still the number 1-selling mascara in America – over 20 million pink tubes with green tops fly out the door of drugstores every year. It consistently doesn’t smudge, and comes off easily.
2. Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizer: The lemon yellow lotion has become a classic since its introduction in 1968. There are now 5 variations on the theme including oil-free to suit all CDDM’s loyal fans.
3. Crème de la Mer: Originated by physicist Dr. Max Huber over 40 years ago, Crème de la Mer was the basis for the La Mer range that started the super rich luxury cremes craze. Good for mature skin, but the line now extensions include other variations on the theme.
4. Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream: Created in 1930, this petroleum based skin balm is the ultimate in multi-tasking products and is literally used from head to toe: chapped lips to cracked heels.
5. Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair: A throwback to the good ol’ 80s, this top performer had its debut in 1982 and quickly stuck as a cult favorite among beauty editors and beauty aficionados.
6. NARS Blush in Orgasm: A winner due to its name that says it all, Orgasm has become NARS best seller. The shimmery peachy-pink powder blush gives every woman an afterglow.
7. MAC Spice Lip Liner: The perfectly neutral browny-rosy shade of fame that is in every makeup artist’s arsenal has surely had its share of devotees over the years, despite the fact that every makeup artist brand has precisely the same shade too.
8. Keihl’s Lip Balm #1: The chapped lip reliever in that little white tube that is non gender-specific but sure to please.
9. Yves Saint Laurent Touch Eclat: Forever classic, designed by the ultimate makeup queen herself, Terry de Gunzburg. Touch Eclat created a new class of clever, light deflecting concealing pens that no woman can live without and now every brand has their own version of the original.
10. Lancome Juicy Tubes: Be honest – what girl doesn’t have at least a few of these perky little fruity flavored lip gloss tubes lying around. This brilliant concept literally gave new life to lip gloss.