I admit it. I am way old enough to have lived through the 80s with my shoulder pads and poufed out hair and severe makeup. And just when you think it’s safe to throw out your metallics and royal blues, it comes back again! Thus I was inspired to write about colored mascara which was a big trend then and has made a fabulous comeback recently too.Â So if espresso and chocolate brown, jet black and brownish black mascara make you yawn, check out these spicy options to turn up the volume. These can be used as an accent to tips of lashes or just a stroke at the outer corners for a subtle effect.
Here are the best of the colored mascara brands we came up with, just in case you’re feeling a little flirty…..
PURPLES & PLUMS: Aubergine or deep wine and amethyst look gorgeous on green, blue, brown or hazel eyes. But watch out for pink toned or berry shades that can make your eyes look red if you’re not careful.
- Clarins Wonder Volume Mascara in Wonder Violet
- Urban Decay Big Fatty Mascara in Purple Haze and Black Cherry
- Benefit BADgal Plum Mascara
- Chanel Exceptionnel Intense Volume and Curl Mascara in Violine
NAVY & BLUES: Blues can be a great contrast to brown eyes and gives you a more edgy look than garden variety black, plus blue tones can bring out the white of your eyes.
- Korres Abysinnia Dramatically Volumizing Mascara in Cobalt Blue
- Urban Decay Big Fatty Mascara in Electric Blue and Indigo
- Bare Escentuals Buxom Lash Mascara Special Effects Blue Noir
- Chanel Exceptionnel Intense Volume and Curl Mascara in Marine
- Maybelline Great Lash in Royal Blue – the cult classic!
GREENS & TEALS: Green and aqua tints lookÂ terrific with brown and hazel eyes to emphasize the tiny green flecks in your iris.
- EstÃ©e Lauder Sumptuous Color Bold Volume Lifting Mascara in Emerald
- Almay Intense i-Color Mascara Bring Out the Green in Emerald Green
- Yves St Laurent Everlong Mascara in Ever Peacock Blue
- Vincent Longo Vibrant Eye Waterproof Mascara in Verde
If you’re really feeling bold, you can try a touch of glitter on your lashes, but only for night time and only if you’re 20-something to avoid looking ready for Halloween night.Â LA SPLASH GLITTER MASCARA comes in a range of shades from Hypnotic Teal to California Gold for $6.49 at www.ulta.com