Photo Credit: depositphotos.com
I’ve always had a thing for DIY recipes. Not the ones that need tons of ingredients, spices and more kitchen gadgets than can fit on a standard sized counter. The recipes I prefer are the ones that include a few special ingredients, even less steps to follow and leave you looking and feeling magnificent. They are beauty recipes…and here are 3 that I swear by:
1) THE SKIN SMOOTHING SALT GLOW will rev you up and leave you with soft, silky glowing skin.
Ingredients: 1 cup of kosher salt, 1/2 cup almond oil, 5-7 drops of your favorite essential oil, a glass or plastic container with lid.
- The kosher salt does an amazing job of sloughing away dead, dry skin cells.
- Sweet almond oil is beloved for its high level of fatty acids that help clear out clogged pores, its ability to lock in moisture and its skin firming properties.
- Essential oils should be added based on personal preference. For this recipe, I usually gravitate towards refreshing lemon, rosemary or peppermint but have also been known to use jasmine and rose on occasion.
To do: Add all the ingredients to the container and mix them well. Then, step into your shower without the water running. Scoop out a handful and gently massage it in circular motions moving in the direction towards your heart. Then, turn on the shower and rinse yourself clean before gently patting dry.
2) THE SKIN SOOTHING BODY SOAK makes it easy to relax as it soothes your soul and your skin.
Ingredients: 4 cups of Buttermilk, 4 tablespoons of Honey, 7 drops of Lavender Essential oil.
- Buttermilk contains lactic acid, known to soften, brighten and slough. It also helps to tighten and firm your skin, and minimize the look of age spots and freckles.
- Honey is one of those skincare ingredients will multiple benefits. It is rich in antioxidants so it’s anti-aging. It’s also naturally antibacterial so it will help prevent and treat blemishes and acne, and because it’s super moisturizing and soothing your skin will look radiant.
- You can use another favorite essential oil, but if you go with the traditional lavender essential oil for this soak you’ll not only enjoy its relaxing properties, you’ll benefit from it’s cleansing and disinfecting ones as well.
To do: Add the buttermilk to the warm running water as you’re filling your tub. Then, as it is still filling add your honey and essential oil drops. When full, careful step in, lean back and enjoy. When you are done with your bath, do a quick rinse off in the shower before patting skin dry.
3) THE HAIR REVIVING MASK is the answer to refresh and revive normal, dry or oily hair.
If your hair is normal use 1/2 cup of whole eggs. If your hair is dry use 1/2 cup of egg yolks. If your hair is oily use 1/2 cup of egg whites.
- The yolk is naturally moisturizing.
- The white removes excess oils.
To do: Depending on your hair length you might need to use more than 1/2 cup of eggs, egg yolks or egg whites. You need to be able to fully saturate your hair and scalp. Apply the appropriate mask to your clean, damp hair and leave it on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing with cool water only. Then, shampoo your hair as usual.