For perfect skin, those in the know have been “baking” their makeup. You read that right…but it’s not what you think it is. “Baking” or “cooking” your makeup has been around for years and years but makeup artists have taken it out of hiding and it seems to be back in the limelight again. It’s basically the process of allowing your concealer and powder to remain under the eye for a few extra minutes so that your skin’s natural oils and your own body heat can work with it for a long-lasting, bright-eyed, near-poreless looking complexion.
- Hydrate. Apply under eye cream and moisturizer to your complexion to fully hydrate and plump up your skin, minimizing the look of fine lines and wrinkles. After a few minutes, gently blot with a tissue to remove excess.
- Foundation. Apply your usual liquid or cream foundation and blend well.
- Conceal. Apply an under eye concealer from your nostril to your temple to your inner eye, completely covering this triangle-shaped area. Use a damp makeup sponge to gently blend in. Choose a concealer that’s medium to full coverage and just one shade lighter than your complexion.
- Set with powder. Using a fluffy makeup brush, apply translucent loose setting powder to the same under eye triangle area and leave it on for about three minutes before brushing the excess off your skin with the same fluffy brush.
- Fixing spray. Finish with a wedge sponge that’s been spritzed with a setting spray like Make Up For Ever Mist & Fix Setting Spray ($30) and then dipped into your translucent powder. Press this into the same triangle area and leave on for 10 minutes before gently brushing off any excess powder and blending any harsh edges.
3 Perfect Product Picks:
Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream ($52) is a concentrated, super-moisturizing eye cream that will absorb quickly and easily into the skin. To apply, use your ring finger, patting gently around the eye area. It will diminish fine lines and wrinkles and improve upon your skin tone and texture.
Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer ($25) gives you full, creamy, waterproof coverage in a nourishing and protective formula. This multi-tasking concealer contains maracuja which is rich in essential fatty acids and Vitamin C for firmer, brighter, smoother skin and maximum hydration, vitamin C, a complexion brightener and free radical fighter, vitamin E for its antioxidant and emollient properties and mineral pigments to sooth and soften your skin. Use it to protect and brighten as it hides dark circles and other imperfections.
Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder ($38) is a non-drying translucent powder that gives you a soft-focus finish thanks to its light-reflecting properties. This loose powder works well on all skin tones and can even be worn without foundation to perfect a natural look. It’s oil-free, non-comedogenic and will never crease.
All products included were sampled in-store. Opinions are my own.