Nothing beats having great tools at your disposal. Brushes make it easy to apply your makeup and get flawless results, but if you’re not cleaning them regularly you can wind up with a lot more than you bargained for.
Jeanine Downie, M.D., board certified dermatologist and director of Image Dermatology P.C. in Montclair, NJ, recommends “cleaning your brushes at least once every two weeks—more often if you have oily skin—to prevent dirt and bacteria getting on your face, which can block pores and may cause acne breakouts.” She also says “bacteria around the eyes can lead to stys and eyelash shedding.” Not the look you were going for!
TO CLEAN YOUR BRUSHES PROPERLY
- Fill a bowl with lukewarm water and some baby shampoo.
- Gently swirl your makeup brush(es) in the bowl, avoiding the part of the brush where the handle meets the head.
- Rinse the brush tip under running water. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the water runs clear.
- Gently squeeze out the excess water with a clean towel and reshape the brush head.
- To prevent mildew and misshapen bristles, air-dry by letting the brush hang off the edge of a counter.
ANTI-MICROBIAL BRUSH PICKS
Whether you prefer natural or synthetic brushes keep in mind that cutting-edge antimicrobial technology can minimize the growth of harmful bacteria and keep brushes fresher for longer, plus they're appropriate for even the most sensitive skin. You'll still want to wash them just as often to keep them hygienic but think of it as a little added insurance against acne and less lush lashes.
VMV Hypoallergenics Skintelligent Beauty Brushes ($15-$32 per brush)
Sephora Collection Deluxe Antibacterial Brush Set ($60 for 7 piece set)
Clinique The Brush Collection ($17 - $35 per brush)
- MEET DR. LARA DEVGAN – BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON AND REALSELF CHIEF MEDICAL EDITOR
- MEET DR. ROBERT MORIN – PLASTIC SURGEON, CRANIOFACIAL SURGEON AND PEDIATRIC PLASTIC SURGEON
- #StayTheFHome and Try These New K-Beauty Products
- MEET DR. MILLICENT ROVELO – BEVERLY HILLS PLASTIC SURGEON
- SPONSORED: ShopBop – The Spring Event