The first signs of aging usually show on our eyes—dark circles, wrinkles and puffiness—and can make us look more fatigued and older than we really are.
Once we hit our late 20s, the delicate skin around the eyes gets thinner and looser due to the loss of collagen and elastin. Combined with years of repeated muscle movements such as squinting and laughing, as well as UV exposure, lines begin to form and over time get deeper.
Dr. Lisa M. Donofrio, a dermatologist in New Haven, CT, says her patients’ biggest complaint about their eyes “are dark circles and crepey skin.” Dark circles become more prevalent as the skin becomes thinner and capillaries under the eyes show through.
- MEET DR. LARA DEVGAN – BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON AND REALSELF CHIEF MEDICAL EDITOR
- MEET DR. ROBERT MORIN – PLASTIC SURGEON, CRANIOFACIAL SURGEON AND PEDIATRIC PLASTIC SURGEON
- #StayTheFHome and Try These New K-Beauty Products
- MEET DR. MILLICENT ROVELO – BEVERLY HILLS PLASTIC SURGEON
- SPONSORED: ShopBop – The Spring Event