The African Baobab, also known as the “Tree of Life,” is having a beauty moment. Defying botanical mortality, it can live up to 1,000 years (some are 5,000 years old). Found in Africa and Australia, the tree produces fruit called “monkey bread” that is rich in antioxidants, and is now being tapped by beauty companies for use in hair care and skincare.
The reason? Antioxidants. Scientists look for plants that tend to live long or those that live in harsh environmental conditions, and usually these types of plants have high levels of antioxidants or other ingredients that protect them from damage.
Here are three new products to try that contain baobab.
Phyto Baobab Oil ($40)
- MEET DR. LARA DEVGAN – BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON AND REALSELF CHIEF MEDICAL EDITOR
- MEET DR. ROBERT MORIN – PLASTIC SURGEON, CRANIOFACIAL SURGEON AND PEDIATRIC PLASTIC SURGEON
- #StayTheFHome and Try These New K-Beauty Products
- MEET DR. MILLICENT ROVELO – BEVERLY HILLS PLASTIC SURGEON
- SPONSORED: ShopBop – The Spring Event