Your medicine cabinet is likely filled to the brim with lotions and potions, but between serums, moisturizers, prescription-based treatments and various other products, you may be wondering what to apply first (and second, and third). How you layer your skincare can impact the effectiveness of active ingredients (and reduce potential side effects and reactions), which is why the order in which you apply them is so important.
What comes first?
According to Dermatologist Dr. Michael Kaminer of SkinCare Physicians in Boston, Massachusetts, “The general rule is lightest to thickest, so serums first followed by light lotions and creams.” But why? “It has to do with absorption, and light
- MEET SONIA KHEMIRI AND SYLVIE GIRET – CO-FOUNDERS OF BEAUTYQUE NYC
- SPONSORED: SHOPBOP SUMMER SALE IS HERE!
- MEET DR. LARA DEVGAN – BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON AND REALSELF CHIEF MEDICAL EDITOR
- MEET DR. ROBERT MORIN – PLASTIC SURGEON, CRANIOFACIAL SURGEON AND PEDIATRIC PLASTIC SURGEON
- #STAYTHEFHOME – TRY THESE NEW K-BEAUTY PRODUCTS