Your medicine cabinet is likely filled to the brim with lotions and potions, but between serums, moisturizers, prescription-based treatments and various other products, you may be wondering what to apply first (and second, and third). How you layer your skincare can impact the effectiveness of active ingredients (and reduce potential side effects and reactions), which is why the order in which you apply them is so important.
What comes first?
According to Dermatologist Dr. Michael Kaminer of SkinCare Physicians in Boston, Massachusetts, “The general rule is lightest to thickest, so serums first followed by light lotions and creams.” But why? “It has to do with absorption, and light
- MEET DR. DEEPAK DUGAR – BOARD CERTIFIED RHINOPLASTY SURGEON
- MEET JACK JIA – FOUNDER AND CEO OF MUSELY
- MEET ELLEN GENDLER, MD – NEW YORK CITY BOARD-CERTIFIED DERMATOLOGIST
- WE TRIED DEFENAGE 6-WEEK PERFECTION NECK CREAM AND HERE’S WHAT HAPPENED
- MEET MARK HAMILTON, MD – FACIAL PLASTIC SURGEON AND CHAIRMAN OF THE PUBLIC INFORMATION COMMITTEE FOR THE AAFPRS