The African Baobab, also known as the “Tree of Life,” is having a beauty moment. Defying botanical mortality, it can live up to 1,000 years (some are 5,000 years old). Found in Africa and Australia, the tree produces fruit called “monkey bread” that is rich in antioxidants, and is now being tapped by beauty companies for use in hair care and skincare.
The reason? Antioxidants. Scientists look for plants that tend to live long or those that live in harsh environmental conditions, and usually these types of plants have high levels of antioxidants or other ingredients that protect them from damage.
Here are three new products to try that contain baobab.
Phyto Baobab Oil ($40)
- SPONSORED – CHECK OUT THE SHOPBOP BLACK FRIDAY SALE
- MEET PAUL J. CARNIOL, MD – NEW JERSEY FACIAL PLASTIC SURGEON AND PRESIDENT OF THE AAFPRS
- MEET JAMES BECKMAN, MD – PLASTIC SURGEON AND FOUNDER OF THERADERM CLINICAL SKIN CARE
- MEET RAMAN KAPOOR – REGISTERED DIETICIAN AND CO-FOUNDER OF NEA MEDICAL AESTHETIC CLINIC
- MEET A.J. HANLEY, CO-OWNER OF THE HUMANE COMPANY