Photo Credit: eidoswimwear.com
Whether you’re in the best shape of your life or your body hasn’t seen the light of day for months, few things are more anxiety inducing than slipping into your first swimsuit of the season. No matter where you are on the spectrum “acknowledging that you are beautiful irrespective of what anyone else thinks is the first step to looking great,” says Tayo Ishola, Creative Director of Eido Swimwear. And she should know. Tayo is a Nigerian born fashion model, introduced to the world of bikinis and swimsuits when she started competing in beauty pageants at the age of 15 and later when she moved to Miami and began modeling swimwear.
Tayo offers firsthand advice on how you too can look your best:
- Get some exercise. If you do some crunches before donning your swimsuit it will make your abdominal area feel and look tighter.
- Choose a swimsuit color and style that flatters your body. For example, if you have a long torso and shorter legs, pick a higher cut bikini bottom style to balance your shape and give the appearance of longer legs.
- Proper fit is key. Your swimsuit should never look or feel too tight or be uncomfortable on you. If you’re not at ease in your suit, it will translate poorly in how you carry yourself and project the image you put out there.
- Keep it uncomplicated. You can never go wrong with a simple style one-piece or bikini with beautiful details or patterns. It will always look chic.
- Select a swimsuit or bikini top with an under-wire to ensure you have enough support. Properly supported breasts sit higher and will help your waist appear slimmer.
- It goes without saying, remove visible body hair.
- Maintain good posture to flatter your figure and look taller, slimmer and more confident. To do, keep your shoulders relaxed (not hunched over or rounded) and keep your head held high, in line with your neck and shoulders.
When sitting poolside, surf side or just outside these 3 tips will help you get noticed for all the right reasons:
GET GOLDEN: A little self-tanner before heading out can make you look slimmer, more toned and even help camouflage cellulite. Hampton Sun Sunless Tanning Mist ($36) goes on ultra-fine and clear and develops into natural-looking radiant color in just a few hours.
POP OF COLOR POLISH: A fun, shade on your fingers and toes will help you stand out. Londontown USA is a prestige brand of nail treatment systems and high-pigment lacquers with vitamins and minerals to promote healing and nail health plus they leave behind a long lasting shine without the use of any toxic chemicals. Try Paddington Blue ($16) or a less trendy and always-in-style red-toned shade.
TOP IT OFF: Choose wisely and a summer hat can help protect your skin, hair and look stylish to boot. You won’t go wrong with Capelli Straworld’s Pack a Hat ($25), a chic topper with with a 4 1/2 inch brim and a UPF 50+ rating. This rating measures the UV protection provided by fabric, similar to what SPF ratings are for sunscreens. A UPF of 50 is the highest possible rating, allowing only 1/50th of the UV radiation falling on the surface of the item to pass through it. The hat (available in an assortment of solid colors and striped styles) comes packed inside a matching wristlet, perfect to tote it as well as sun protection and other essentials.