Expert Colorist and Celebrity Stylist George Papanikolas has a way with hair. Just ask Reese Witherspoon, Mila Kunis, Miranda Kerr, Kim Kardashian, Kelly Rowland or Ellie Goulding, all who have had the pleasure of sitting in his chair. He divides his time at high-end salons in New York City (at the Rita Hazan Salon), Los Angeles (at the Andy Lecompte Salon) and Dubai (at the Belle Femme Salon) and juggles editorial and advertising bookings, film projects, music tours, music videos, fashion shows and private clients including celebrities, Heads of State and top level executives, plus he’s the Celebrity Stylist for Matrix professional hair color, hair care and styling products. InStyle, Allure and People Magazine have all singled him out as one of the country’s top colorists and we have to agree. He pioneered the “beach-style” highlighting techniques (balayage and ombré) for natural-looking sun-kissed color that makes it look as if you’ve spent all summer at the beach.
Here, George shares his must-have hair products, career highlights, who he’d love to get his hands on and more:
1. What is your personal beauty philosophy when it comes to hair?
For me, strategic color placement that specifically enhances the client’s natural color will always deliver the best, most flattering result. Extreme color changes are unpredictable and can stress the hair too much.
2. What are your must-have products for women?Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner because it’s the ultimate multi-tasker. It cleanses (without stripping hair) and conditions (without weighing hair down) in one 5 minute step, delivering shine, body and movement plus it’s safe for color-treated hair.
Matrix Biolage HydraSource Mask, used once a week will revive dry hair and nourish ends so tresses stay healthy-looking.
Matrix StyleLink Volume Builder will allow you to create lightweight, touchable, sexy bombshell hair effortlessly.
Matrix Oil Wonders Shaping Oil Cream combines an oil-cream and gel in one for the perfect glossy blowout.
3. Any advice you can share with mature women to help keep their hair looking younger, fresher, current?
Blunt cuts are very in right now, as is bold hair color. Stay away from any style that’s over layered and avoid streaky, obvious highlights which look very 90s and dated.
4. What’s been your most memorable professional experience so far?
The most adventurous time in my life was being Britney Spears’ Personal Hairstylist on her Circus tour. It was memorable to say the least!
5. If you could get anyone in your chair, who would you choose and what would you do? Why?
I would absolutely love to get Demi Moore in my chair! She’s an effortlessly cool beauty icon, but she has been rocking that long, dark hair for way too long. I would keep her hair long, but amp up the color by taking it lighter and have some fun with it.
6. What comes next for you? I plan on cruising on this whirlwind as long as people want to see me!