Photo Credit: latimes.com
When it comes to awards shows, the names of the fashion designers and jewelers who adorn the leading ladies are no secret, but the professionals and brands behind the beauty—which plays an integral role in the overall impression—are a different story. No red-carpet appearance is possible without an extensive glam squad that covers everything from makeup and hair to nails and faux tanning (and beyond), and we think these artists deserve their fair share of credit. Here, a few of the most buzzed-about beauty looks from the Emmy Awards—and step-by-step directions for recreating them yourself!
Breaking the record for the most Emmy wins by one performer in the same role is no small feat—and Julia’s face game was equally as strong. Makeup artist Karen Kawahara was the mastermind behind this masterpiece, and she used La Prairie to prep Julia’s skin and create the look that will forever be associated with this historic evening.
- Kawahara started with Skin Caviar Essence-in-Lotion to hydrate the skin and prepare it for the serums and moisturizer that followed.
- She applied two drops of the Skin Caviar Liquid Lift, a serum formulated to naturally tense and tighten the skin.
- As a last prep step, Kawahara used the new Skin Caviar Absolute Filler moisturizer to plump the skin.
- Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation Sunscreen SPF 15 was used to create a luminous and even tone.
- Light Fantastic Cellular Concealing Brightening Eye Treatment pen was applied under the eye and on the balls of the cheeks to highlight the cheeks and diffuse light under the eyes.
- Kawahara used a round blush brush to apply Cellular Radiance Cream Blush in “Rose Glow” before layering “Peach Glow” over it to create a luminescent rose gold effect.
- Julia’s lash lines were outlined with the Luxe Eyeliner Automatique in “Brun” and Kawahara smudged color at the outer corners to create a lifted look.
- The Cellular Treatment Eye Colour Ensemble in “Les Epices” was applied with the sponge applicator over the eyeliner and blended up into the brow bone area.
- Kawahara used the Cellular Treatment Mascara Instant Curl in “Noir,” starting the brush at the baseline of the lashes then rolling the brush up as she got closer to the tips for maximum curling effect.
- Julia’s brows were filled in lightly with the Luxe Brow Liner Automatique in “Brun.”
- To minimize shine for the cameras, Kawahara dusted the skin with Cellular Treatment Loose Powder.
- Kawahara completed the look with Cellular Luxe Lip Liner in “Beaujolais” followed by Cellular Luxe Lip Colour in “Rose Bronze.”
Elisabeth first caught our attention as “Peggy” in Mad Men, but seven Emmy nominations (and two wins later—thanks to her producer’s credit), her role in The Handmaid’s Tale has catapulted her into the Hollywood stratosphere. With seemingly infinite star power at the moment, she needed makeup to match, and Dior makeup artist Daniel Martin was up to the task. Using her pale pink custom Prabal Gurung dress as inspiration, he created a feminine, ethereal look with strategically placed color.
- To start Elisabeth’s look, Martin evened out her skin with Diorskin Forever Foundation and Diorskin Forever Undercover Concealer.
- To set the concealer and blend, he used the new Dior Skin Forever Extreme Control.
- For her cheeks, Martin wanted a brighter pink to give Elisabeth a natural flush, so he applied Diorblush in “Lucky Pink” before highlighting and softening the blush with Diorskin Nude Air Luminizer in “Pink Glow.”
- Martin used the lighter shades in the Dior show Dior 5 Couleurs “Electrify” palette for a soft wash of color. He then applied Diorshow Mono Eye Shadow in “Backstage” with his finger to press the pigment into the lid. For even more punch, he applied a touch of Diorshow Fusion Mono Eye Shadow in “Lune” to the inner corners of Elisabeth’s eyes.
- Diorshow Waterproof Mascara in “Black” was the perfect finishing touch, and he added Dior Bold Brow in “Light” for a nicely defined brow.
- For the lips, Martin used the new Rouge Dior Liquid Lip Stain in “Miss Satin.”
PRO TIP: Martin says, “When using a bright cheek color, I recommend using a dual fiber face brush to create a transparent pop of color on the cheeks. This picks up enough pigment but diffuses during application so it not too harsh on the face.”
She may have only been a presenter this year, we fully expect to see Debra Messing at the Emmys next year after her much-anticipated reprise in Will & Grace 2.0. Her “bronzed goddess” look was created by Jeannia Robinette, who used Lancôme products to prep her skin and create the modern, classy look that placed focus on the eyes while leaving the rest of the face looking flawless yet natural.
- Robinette started by prepping Debra’s skin with the Lancôme Absolue L’Extrait Ultimate Eye Patch before applying the Advanced Génifique Sensitive Serum all over her face and Lancôme Visionnaire Yeux under the eyes as a moisturizer and primer.
- She used Teint Idole Ultra Cushion Foundation mixed with Teint Idole Ultra Longwear Foundation Stick to give her a bronzed look (and tucked it into her evening bag for touch-ups).
- For under the eyes, Robinette used Teint Idole Ultra Wear Camouflage Concealer.
- To really go for the glow, Robinette appliedStar Bronzer #2 to Debra’s cheeks before adding a bit of Dual Finish Highlighter in “Luminous Gold” to the tops of the cheekbones to enhance her glow.
- Robinette finished off the cheeks with the Blush Subtil Palette in “New Nude.”
- To create the base for the eyes, Robinette used the copper shade from the Color Design 5-Pan Eyeshadow Palette in “Kissed by Gold” all over the eyelid. Next, she added the eggplant shade from the Color Design 5-Pan Eyeshadow Palette in “Olive Soleil” to the crease of the eyelid.
- Under the eye, Robinette used the Drama Liqui-Pencil in “Chantilly” and blended it out with her finger for a soft, light gold look.
- For super-bold lashes, Robinette layered on Monsieur Big Mascara to the top and bottom lashes.
- The Ombre Hypnose Stylo in Onyx (coming in October) was applied to the inner and outer corners of the eyes to tie the look together, and the Sourcils Styler in “Brun” added was used to add subtle definition.
- For the lips, Robinette prepped with the Absolute Precious Cells Nourishing Cells Lip Balm before lining the lips with Le Lipstique in “Bronzelle” and applying a light swipe of L’Absolu Rouge in “Timide” for a barely-there nude lip.