A little bit of adornment goes a long way when it’s shimmery, shiny gold. A flash of it — or any other metallic — on eyes, lips, face or body, adds instant glam, especially when it’s executed right. Kristina Magovac, National Makeup Artist for Japonesque says “gold can work for anyone, regardless of age.” Her 5 makeup tips will guarantee you get that Midas touch, without breaking the bank.
GO FOR THE GOLD
- Go subtle by using a fluffy blending brush for a light wash of color on the lids. If you prefer an intense gold color payoff instead, balance it with a light, neutral lip.
- Use a large powder brush with just a hint of gold powder to give cheeks an understated hit of radiance.
- When applying gold to the lips, lightly highlight the cupid’s bow or add a touch to the middle of the bottom lip for a fuller pout.
- Just a hit of gold picks up light and will have you glowing for the camera. Add highlighting powder to your shoulders, décolletage or legs for a gorgeous sheen.
- With gold, less is more. Steer clear of it if you have a heavy hand with makeup as it’s very easy to take the look from subtle glow to a gold goddess costume.
ALL THAT GLITTERS
Dolce & Gabbana The Lipgloss Ultra-Shine Lipgloss in Gold ($31) gives your lips a glass-like sheen of sheer reflective shine. Use to highlight the center of your lips for a fuller-looking pout or warm up your lipstick shade by topping it with this subtle golden glow.
Marc Jacobs Beauty Highliner Gel Eye Crayon in Mari(Gold)($25) is formulated with vitamin E and Rosa Canina Seed Extract to help soothe, and protect the delicate eye area, plus it has a high-color payoff that sets in 15 seconds for a stay-put-all-day long-wearing, waterproof finish.
Japonesque Color Liquid Light in Shade 2 ($28) imparts a lit-from-within glow. It’s a light-reflecting liquid that illuminates on contact so you look radiant, glowing, beautiful. Use as a make-up base or apply wherever you’d like to highlight.
Mehron Gold Metallic Powder and Mixing Liquid ($12.95) combines the ultra fine Metallic Powder Makeup (which can be used dry) or mixed with the liquid for a bolder statement. Ideal for body painting, face painting, and makeup plus it washes off easily with soap and water.
Nailtini Lacquer in Millionaire ($13) is a decadent, rich gold with emerald multi-shaped glitter that can be worn full coverage (takes 2 coats) or layered over any other shade.
Shimmer Jewelry Tattoos ($10 for 50 Designs) is a way to have fun with the gold trend. You can go all out but it’s more on trend to do the less is more thing here. A smaller design on the inside of your wrist, your ankle or behind your ear will add a hint of sexy without looking like you’re trying to hard.