Photo Credit: beautyinthebag.com
August (a.k.a National Anti-Frizz Month) has come to a close, but that doesn’t mean it’s the end of frizzy hair. A recent study conducted by Alberto VO5 found that approximately 87 percent of U.S. women deal with frizzy hair, 25 percent of whom have resorted to measures as drastic as staying home on bad hair days. There’s got to be a better way!
Curly hair tends to frizz more than straight hair, but the the health of your hair also plays a major factor. Damaged hair (thanks to heat styling and over styling in general) shows up as breakage, split ends, and ultimately frizz. Then there’s the environment. “Frizz is caused when water, found in humid hair, modifies hair’s structural protein, causing our hair cuticles to let loose, and literally spring out of control,” said Nina Riley, VP of Marketing for Alberto VO5. She continued, “The key is preventing that process early-on, starting with pre-treating the hair before shampooing with products like VO5 Hot Oil Treatment, which smooth out the cuticle and keep frizz from taking hold.”
Frizzy Hair Fixes:
- Get the wet out: Instead of rubbing hair dry with a towel, which will rough up the cuticle and cause frizz, gently squeeze hair dry with the towel.
- Choose wisely: Use products with little to no alcohol on their ingredient list since alcohol will dry out your strands and contribute to frizz.
- Apply generously: If you’ve got long, thick hair you should be applying more product than those with thinner, shorter hair.
- Sleep smoothly: Slumber on a silk or satin pillowcase to help maintain the moisture in your hair. Cotton and other blends can upset the cuticle and dry it out.
- Condition and then some: Along with your usual post-shampoo conditioner, use a leave-in conditioner morning and night to help your hair maintain optimal moisture levels.
- Multitask: In a pinch, use a bit of hand or body lotion rubbed between your hands first and then worked through your strands, avoiding the root area. Here, less is more.
Alberto VO5’s Five-Step Process To Combat Frizz:
Step 1 – Pre-Shampoo Treatment. VO5 Hot Oil Therapy, with its 5-vitamin and protein rich formula to moisturize and condition hair from roots to ends, helps to restore shine, strength, and silky softness while it smooths hair cuticles. One minute once a week is all it takes to avoid frizz.
Steps 2 & 3 – Shampoo and Condition. Products like VO5 Salon Series Smooth + Sleek Shampoo and Conditioner contain a unique smoothing complex that helps manage unruly hair and help eliminate frizz, pronto!
Step 4 – Styling Prep. VO5 Salon Series Anti-Frizz & Shine Styling Cream preps hair for the rigors of styling by nourishing hair, reducing frizz, and boosting shine.
Step 5 – Finish. Use VO5 Salon Series Perfect Hold Non-Aerosol Hairspray to help fortify your hair for a healthy shine that perfectly finishes any style.