You’ve just spent your clothing allowance to get your wardrobe in check for the coming summer season, so after buying your maxi dress, strappy sandals, wrap and lots more, your beauty budget has become just that…budget!
Expert help is at hand. Jackie Tyson, celebrity makeup artist and chief makeup artist for the X Factor has hand-picked the best cult beauty buys for under £5 to update your makeup bag and see you through the coming months of sunshine:
1) “Lucas Pawpaw Ointment is a an absolute must and you can get it for just £4.64 including postage from www.pawpawshop.co.uk. It really is the best for keeping your lips in good condition all year round and can also be used to set eyebrows if you use a tiny bit. It’s always in my kit!”
2) “Avon’s best selling SuperShock mascara now comes in a beach-ready, waterproof version, also fab for getting teary-eyed at weddings and it’s currently available on special offer for just £5” www.avonshop.co.uk
3) “Barry M Dazzle dust is a makeup kit staple, and comes in at under the £5 mark so if you fall in love with a few different colours it won’t break the bank. Brights are great for keeping up with this season‘s trends, such as colour-blocking the eyelids.”
4) “You can get different looks out of your one tube of mascara with disposable mascara wands from www.thepromakeupshop.com. There are nine varieties to experiment with and for just £4.99 you can get a pack of 25 of your favourite wand.”
5) “Rimmel London’s Soft Kohl Kajal Eye Liner Pencil is a great budget buy at just £2.99 from Boots and comes in six different colours. It’s really soft so super-easy to apply and great for blending to create the classic smoky eye look. The colour doesn’t fade throughout the day so no need for too many touch-ups!”
And with no extra cash at all…
“A great cost-effective tip to avoid having to buy lighter coverage foundation for the summer is to mix a small amount of your favourite shade with a day moisture cream. Voila, you’ve made your own tinted moisturiser!”
“Don’t do away with your favourite dark nail polishes from last season, just use them to create a different look. Keep nails clear and natural looking then use a lick of colour just across the white nail tip. It’s an easy way to bring your nails into the summer season and only takes a minute.”
With tips this good, it’s a wonder why we splash so much cash on seasonal makeup purchases, but, at BITB we still advocate setting aside some emergency beans for super-special new launches like Shu Uemura’s Neo Fringe Lashes out in July (Harvey Nichs) with Swarovski crystals. Heaven knows how much they’ll be.
Join the queue!
Love from London
P.S To get the best online makeup application tips and how-to videos, log on to www.JackieTyson.co.uk