Baby, it’s cold outside. Keeping your skin soft in an Arctic freeze can be a challenge, especially when you’re exposed to a double whammy of cold, windy outdoor weather and high, dry indoor heat. This “perfect storm” can zap every ounce of moisture from your skin and really take a toll on your looks. The good news is that small adjustments in your beauty routine can amp up the hydration in your skincare regimen, keeping you well moisturized, better protected and more luminous all season long.
TO AVOID DESERT-LEVEL DRYNESS…
- Skip the long, hot shower and opt for a quick cleanse in lukewarm water instead. Exposure to hot water depletes the skin’s natural oils and can lead to dryness, irritation and even cracked skin.
- Use gentle cleansers without harsh ingredients that can strip your skin. Doing so can help keep your moisture levels in check.
- Switch from light or oil-free skin care to richer, creamier formulas and oil-based products to prevent moisture loss.
- Up your water intake. Since the dryer than normal environment dehydrates, you need to drink more fluids to help prevent dry, flaky, chapped skin.
- Lower your thermostat. Keeping it to 68°F or below will keep some moisture in the air. You can even add a humidifier to keep things from getting too dry.
- Use a gentle exfoliant once a week. By sloughing dead surface cells your moisturizing products can better penetrate.
TRY THESE 7 SOFT SKIN SAVERS:
Mustela Stelatopia Cream Cleanser ($14) quickly calms tight, dry, irritated skin. Simply wash your face or body with this soap-free, fragrance-free, gentle cleanser that’s even safe for those with eczema-prone skin.
Ramy Beauty Therapy Lip Oil ($18) penetrates the skin for a super-moisturizing lip treat. It contains jojoba and almond oils to moisturize as well as marine spheres with collagen to subtly plump lips so they feel great and look fuller and healthier. Available in yummy orange, mint and rose flavors, you can wear alone or pair with your favorite gloss or lipstick.
Ahava Active Moisture Gel Cream ($42) is clinically proven to double skin’s moisture levels immediately after application. This unique gel-cream formula delivers highly-bound Dead Sea water to the inner layers of the skin for a lower evaporation rate and the ultimate in hydration.
Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream Ultra Rich ($128) promises long-lasting hydration (up to 24 hours!) so even the driest and most dehydrated skin is nourished and comforted. This super-rich moisturizer combines marine algae, seaweed, amino acids, essential fatty acids, antioxidants and vitamins.
Caudalie Vinosource Overnight Recovery Oil ($52) fights rosacea and inflammation, stimulates cell renewal, nourishes, protects and moisturizes. Apply this potent dry oil at bedtime and wake up to gorgeous healthy skin.
Sibu Sea Buckthorn Miracle Stick ($19.95) is an easy cure for tight, dry, flaky skin, chapped lips or any area that’s suffering from the elements. Sea buckthorn and coconut oils combine with shea and cocoa butters for antibacterial, healing and moisturizing properties to support and maintain the skin’s natural lipid barrier. The stick is small enough to throw in your bag so you can easily apply this portable protection before heading outside or whenever you’re exposed to the harsh, cold, windy outdoors.
Exuviance Daily AntiOxidant Peel CA10 ($65) easily and gently exfoliates your complexion for better absorption of moisturizers and other skin care treatments. Formulated with 10% Citric Acid you’ll notice a difference in skin tone and texture after just one use. This one-step, swipe-on peel that requires no rinsing or neutralizing also delivers potent antioxidant protection to help prevent signs of aging.