Photo Credit: sephora.com
Another Hallmark moment—National Lipstick Day is July 29th. Who knew?
Lipsticks are certainly taking their place in the spotlight. The days of picking up a prestige lipstick for less than a $20 bill are long since gone. Premium lipsticks are commanding up to $55. But honestly ladies, one glam lipstick can make you feel (and look) like a cool mil.
In honor of the occasion, Beautyinthebag is celebrating with a roundup of our 10 absolute favorite lipsticks to own right now:
- Tom Ford Beauty Lip Color ($50): Our numero uno all time fave lipstick that adds luxe to your lips in sumptuous shades from beiges to browns, with a creamy, rich texture that you just have to try once and you’re hooked.
- Hourglass Femme Rouge Velvet Crème Lipstick ($30): In addition to its cushiony, long-lasting color, we love this cream lipstick because it is refillable. Available in 16 shades, the colors tend toward deeply pigmented reds, browns, and rich neutrals.
- Dior Beauty Dior Addict Extreme ($32): Shine and vibrant color define the 17 shades of this Dior favorite that runs the gamut of pinks, caramels, and browns. No matte options here, just perfect long-wearing color that resists fading.
- Le Métier de Beauté Colour Core Moisture Stain Lipstick ($32): Emollient-rich, long wearing creamy lip color infuses moisture to your pucker in soft and pretty shades like nude, pink, and plum.
- Givenchy Le Rouge Intense Color Sensuously Matte Lipstick ($36): You’ll love taking this lipstick out of your purse. Its case is made of leather, which is oh so soft and subtle to the touch. It’s called matte, but it is really more semi-matte, which means it’s not drying at all, and comes in six rose, plum, and berry shades.
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Lovemarc Matte Lip Gel ($30): Designer Marc Jacobs presents five matte shades in a unique gel formula that hydrates and moisturizes. The carefully curated collection of saturated colors is scented with vanilla for a multi-sensorial experience.
- Kevyn Aucoin Expert Lip Color ($35): From the late master of color cosmetics, this lip collection features 16 shades from soft cool pink to deep blood red and plum brown. Wild mango fruit butter lends a healing benefit for damaged lips.
- By Terry Rouge Terrybly $39.50: By Terry’s exclusive anti-aging Lumilip® Technology turns this plumping lip elixir into a firming and volumizing treatment. Eighteen shades offer options for all skin tones. Ceramides and hyaluronic filling spheres keep lips plump and youthful.
- La Prairie Cellular Luxe Lip Colour ($55): Like all La Prairie products, this lipstick is exquisitely packaged. The 23 shades—pinks, browns, purples, and a red—feature the brand’s caviar extract and cellular complex for a full treatment and long-wearing lipstick.
- Yves Saint Laurent Beaute Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick ($35): A new-generation lipstick inspired by Monsieur Saint Laurent’s iconic color palette—red, fuchsia and orange—in a collection of shades that offer everyone a customized look. Thirty-three shades provide medium to full coverage with a satin finish.
Fall always seems like the beginning of the year to me; I guess I’ll always be a student at heart. And summer….well let’s just say that falling leaves, crisp nights, and fresh apples appeal to me much more than stifling humidity and sunburns. That said, I was delighted to see Dior get a jump on fall with it’s first ever pre-fall color collection called Icons.
The lineup is inspired by the pre-fall fashion collection created by Raf Simons, the Belgian designer who joined the classic couture house in 2012 as creative director. The fashions update classic Dior jackets and silhouettes with unusual fabrics like t-shirt material and primary jewel tones and gold. Very back-to-school.
Eyes colors combine smoky blue, silver, and shades of gold. Lips follow the classic path with red, fuchsia, and pink. Cheeks are enhanced with dusty rose.
The Dior Nail Artistry Box ($60) is another highlight of the collection. It includes nail embellishments like Swarovski crystals, lucky stars, and clover charms.
The collection is available now on Dior.com and at Nordstrom next month.
Dior Color Icons Collection :
- Dior Fusion Mono Eyeshadow in Trompe L’Oeil ($30.00)
- Dior Fusion Mono Eyeshadow in Reveuse ($30.00)
- Dior 3-Couleurs Smoky Eyeshadow in Smoky Gold ($48.00)
- Diorshow Art Pen in Cruise Blue ($30.00)
- Rouge Dior Lipstick in Tout Paris ($34.00)
- Rouge Dior Lipstick in La Vie ($34.00)
- Dior Addict Fluid Stick in Rose Tricheuse ($35.00)
- Dior Addict Fluid Stick in Mona Lisette ($35.00)
- Dior Vernis in Reflects ($25.00)
- Dior Vernis in Night Shock ($25.00)
- Dior Vernis in Tout Paris ($25.00)
- Diorblush in Rose Libertine ($42.00)
- Dior Nail Artistry Box ($60.00)
Photo Credit: Lancôme
Jason Wu has not, despite his fashion icon status (he designed Michelle Obama’s Inaugural Ball dress twice), been a stranger to beauty partnerships.
His Pre-Fall 2014 collaboration with Lancôme is his second creation for the brand. The first was the Fall 2013 collection that debuted during New York’s Fashion Week in 2013, and showcased his “love for colors.”
Obviously, the collaboration went swimmingly because the designer has launched a comprehensive pre-Fall 2014 collection with the French beauty brand, and this time involving one of Mr. Wu’s favorite colors: fuchsia.
Unlike some designers, Wu is not afraid of bright colors, or white as evidenced by the sparkling white Inaugural Ball gown that Mrs. Obama wore in s 2009. Although he veers toward darker colors in his fall collections (his palette consists of moody grays, sombre blacks, and sumptuous beige), fuchsia is a favorite spring/resort color for him. And therefore it surprised me that fuchsia was center stage of sorts in his Fall 2013 beauty collection.
“When designing clothes, I strive to accentuate and pay homage to the female form,” stated Wu. “With makeup, it’s no different. Each element helps showcase a woman’s uniquely individual features, so my goal is always to be reverent of that innate beauty—a creative mission that Lancôme shares.”
The collection for pre-Fall 2014 includes:
A COLORFUL EYE PORTFOLIO:
- Color Design Eye Brightening All-In-One 5 Shadow & Liner Palette in Disco, Midnight Floral, and Alpha Dahlia ($50)
- Artliner Precision Point Eyeliner in Atlantic Blue ($30.50)
- Définicils High Definition Mascara in Black ($27.50)
POPS OF CHEEK COLOR:
- Blush Subtil Duo in Pressed Rose and Macaroon Pink ($30)
- Brush #21 Petit Precision Cheek ($20)
- L’Absolu Rouge in Hibiscus Pink and Rose Royce ($30)
Vernis in Love in Fuchsia Veneer ($15)
The Vernis is definitely one of those “it” items of the collection, as are the beautifully-packaged Color Design 5-Pan Eyeshadow palettes. In short, run don’t walk to scoop up this collection.