Photo Credit: acuvue.com
Back in college, for a period of a few months I wore colored contact lenses to enhance my already green eyes and make them look a brighter green. If you peered closely into my eyes you could actually see the crosshatch design sitting on the lens, and it took me a bit of time to realize they sucked the life and natural beauty right out of my eyes. After that experience I swore I’d only wear clear contact lenses forevermore, but after sitting in on a recent beauty launch I might have to amend that decision.
I recently attended Johnson & Johnson’s U.S. launch of their 1-DAY ACUVUE DEFINE contact lenses (approximately $75 for a 30 day supply). These groundbreaking lenses go beyond vision correction and take a giant step into the world of beauty by enhancing your own natural eye. This daily disposable lens is nothing like the lenses I wore back in college — instead, it’s similar to 1-DAY ACUVUE MOIST contact lenses (an extra comfortable, high UV protection lens that uses Lacreon Technology which allows the lens to retain moisture so your eyes feel fresh all day long) but with the added beauty aspect that enhances what mother nature gave you, without changing your eye color. What it does do is add contrast, definition, and depth so your eyes look more sparkly and radiant. Following the findings of a recent study that showed that people are more attracted to women and men with limbal rings (a dark ring around the iris of the eye), Johnson & Johnson created this lens to do just that. Besides limbal rings it also adds flecks, another eye trait viewed as very attractive.
At the event, I tried on a pair and found them very, very comfortable. When I got home that evening, I decided to do a ”blind” test (pun definitely intended) with each member of my family. I kept the DEFINE lens in my right eye and switched out the left with my regular clear lens. I instructed my husband, daughter, and son to each look at me (without the others present) and tell me which eye looked better. They wanted me to tell them what I did because they couldn’t see much of a difference but when pressed, all three chose the right eye as their favorite. They couldn’t tell specifically what was different but they each found it to look brighter, whiter, and more lively looking.
Optometrist Dr. Meredith Jansen says “When you look at someone, 80% of your focus is on their eyes. Since a more defined eye is considered attractive, healthy and youthful, there’s no reason not to enhance yours.” Available in prescription and non-correction lenses, DEFINE comes in Natural Sparkle (ideal for light eyes), Natural Shimmer (best for those with medium tones), and Natural Shine (perfect for dark eyes) . The limbal ring amps up contrast for more depth and visual interest while the flecks add additional radiance and intensify what mother nature gave you. It’s you only better — like Photoshop come to life!
Over 1 in 4 women will experience hereditary hair loss in her lifetime, beginning as early as their second decade in some cases. When you start to see hair in your comb or brush, on your pillow, or in the bathroom sink, it could be the first sign.
“Men expect to lose their hair, but women do not,” says New York City Dermatologist, Dr. Doris Day. When women begin to notice their hair is thinning they internalize it — questioning their lifestyle, diet, exercise, and stress levels. “The key to effective treatment is to begin at the first signs of thinning just as you would with any other anti-aging beauty concern,” she says.
Hereditary hair thinning is a very common problem in women that is caused by some combination of genetics, hormone levels, and aging. According to Washington DC Dermatologist Dr. Rebecca Kazin, “Hair loss affects men and women of all ages. Genetic predisposition, hormones, thyroid disease, medications, stress, autoimmune disorders, burns, and nutritional deficiencies can all contribute to hair loss. Female hair loss, characterized more by diffuse thinning than patterned balding as in men, is caused primarily by androgenetic alopecia, hair follicle disease and trauma.”
But there is a new solution for women only. Women’s ROGAINE® TOPICAL AEROSOL is the first and only FDA-approved once daily treatment with 5% minoxidil clinically proven to regrow hair. Unlike volumizers and thickeners, Women’s ROGAINE® helps to reactivate the follicle. This easy to use foam contains the highest concentration of minoxidil available over the counter. Clinical studies found that when using Women’s ROGAINE® Foam once daily, every day, 81%* of the women regrew hair with new hairs coming in up to 48%** thicker than before.
According to Dr. Kazin, there are 6 ways to tame your shedding by changing your daily routine:
1. Use a natural bristle brush. Plastic or artificial brushes can be aggressive on hair and scalp.
2. Switch your appliances to a cooler setting. Heat is extremely damaging to hair.
3. Use protein-based conditioners to help restore the natural oils that are removed from hair and scalp from shampooing.
4. Avoid wearing a tight ponytail that can weaken hair and cause breakage.
5. Splurge for the salon. Some home color kits contain harsh chemicals that alter the stability of the hair and weaken its integrity.
6. Eat more leafy vegetables and eggs that are rich in calcium and iron.
Women’s ROGAINE® 5 % Minoxidil Topical Aerosol will be available nationwide in November at drugstores nationwide at $ 29.99 for a 2-month supply and $49.99 for a 4-month supply.
*, ** Data on file
Photo Credit: DepositPhotos.com
Foundation is one of the most important steps in your makeup routine because when your complexion looks flawless – smooth, fresh and luminous — everything else looks better too. You want it to look like you’re wearing nothing at all, yet most woman still need adequate coverage. I’m happy to report that Shiseido’s eagerly awaited makeup launch is here, and you’re going to love looking glowy.
Shiseido’s new Future Solution LX Total Radiance Foundation SPF20 ($85) contains brightening ingredients plus the brand’s exclusive Skingenecell 1P, an amino acid derivative that decreases Serpin B3 (a protein found in damaged skin) for smoother, more hydrated skin. Its new light technology diffuses and reflects akin to a camera’s softening filter effect. What does this mean for you? Upon application, your fine lines and wrinkles, visible pores, uneven skin tone and slack skin will all but disappear.
Shiseido’s Future Solution LX Total Radiance Loose Powder ($60) is formulated with Super Bio-Hyaluronic Acid to increase and maintain optimal moisture levels, which is particularly important this time of year. It is silky, smooth to the touch, creates translucent radiance, and gives a beautiful finish. You can wear it alone or together with the foundation to look more polished and have your makeup last all day.
5 TIPS TO FIX YOUR FOUNDATION:
- Shop for foundation with a clean face to get a true reading of what the shades actually look like on your skin.
- Don’t test foundation on the back of your hand — apply it to your jawline instead and check it in natural light. The right shade will blend seamlessly with no lines of demarcation.
- Apply moisturizer and give it 5 minutes to “sink in” before applying your foundation. Use a tissue to gently blot any excess product before applying your makeup.
- You don’t have to apply foundation everywhere, like a mask. For the freshest finish, start in the center of your face where there’s usually more redness around the nose area, and work your way out from there.
- A foundation brush will give you the most precise application. Simply stroke it on in sweeping motions and continue to blend into the skin until it vanishes. If you want a sheerer look, use a damp sponge. After wetting and squeezing out excess water, dip into the foundation and lightly press into skin in a blotting motion, until desired coverage is achieved.