SIX WAYS TO GET MORE BEAUTY FOR YOUR BUCKS
International beauty expert Wendy Lewis, founder of beautyinthebag.com,
shares her tips for getting the most from your trip to the shops.
- Go online and do some research before you go to the counter so you know what you’re looking for in advance. If you are keen to try a new type of foundation, for example, narrow down your selection to brands, products and prices you would consider, then use the expertise of the beauty advisor to choose the right shade for you.
- Testers are the biggest benefit of going to a counter because you can see the texture, shade and consistency of a product — things that do not translate from a screen.
- The worst thing you can do is to stroll through the beauty department without a purpose in mind. It leaves you open to aggressive sales people pushing their products at you.
- If you get the proverbial, ‘May I help you?’ answer firmly with a ‘No thanks’, or respond with a clear purpose in mind: ‘I’m looking for the Lancome counter,’ or ‘I am shopping for a waterproof blue mascara.’
- If you are watching your spending, have a maximum budget in mind. If you bring your purchase home and feel you have made a mistake, don’t be afraid to return unopened items.
- Download one of the many beauty apps available to play around with products and colours you might want to try.