Pregnancy can be a beautiful time of a woman’s life: it is a very special nine months when women are often blessed with glowing skin. If you’re expecting, or know someone who is, you’ve probably observed a soft, radiant “pregnant glow.”
Unfortunately, pregnancy also can mean a host of skincare issues, including dry, itchy skin and scalp, and for some women—acne. You can blame it on the hormones, after all, you have another life growing inside you, with his or her own set of hormones. Many women have said that pregnancy either gave them glowing, clearer skin (if the hormones jive well with your body), or terrible breakouts (if the baby has a different set of hormones and they don’t agree with your skin, then expect side effects including nausea and acne-prone skin).
But, fortunately, help is at hand, and luckily products that help with pregnancy-related skin issues don’t have to be über expensive. Recently, I taped a video as a CVS/pharmacy Beauty Ambassador, where I showcased my must-have beauty products for pregnant women:
As a general rule, since pregnancy can be a time of ups and downs, the best thing to do is to keep it simple. It’s also best to keep anything fragrant to an absolute minimum, since you are at your most sensitive. Here are some ideas:
1. Burt’s Bees Mama Bee Nourishing Body Oil ($8): To prevent stretch marks and to pamper mommy skin with the most natural products possible, this is a safe bet. Formulated with sweet almond and lemon oils and vitamin E, this lightweight, all-natural body oil is ideal to apply on your tummy, and thighs too, in order to prevent stretch marks. Phthalate-, petrochemical- and paraben-free, this beautiful amber-colored bottle will be your best friend throughout your pregnancy. Plus, it’s so affordable—what’s not to love?
2. St. Ives Skin Renewing Collagen Elastin Moisturizer ($5.50): This is a new formulation, which is ideally suited for sensitive skin. It has a very light fragrance and personally I loved applying it during my pregnancy. Pregnancy can really take a toll on skin and make it extra dry. Many women also experience itchiness, particularly around the growing belly and breasts. As a treat to yourself, slather this on all over (if you want to skip the sensitive areas, use baby oil or Mama Bee oil) daily, twice if necessary.
2. Neutrogena Revitalizing Lip Balm SPF 20 ($8.99): Pregnancy is a time when the lips become as dry as a coconut husk, and it’s really important to not only hydrate (drink those 8-plus glasses of water a day!) but to also hydrate your lips regularly with a good lip balm. Neutrogena’s Revitalizing Lip Balm gives you a nice sheer tint in pretty colors (think Sunny Berry or Petal Glow) but also more importantly, hydrates and provides SPF 20 coverage. Plus, in just a week, this balm helps improve the texture of your lips and it keeps on working even after you take it off.
3. Dr. Jeffrey Dover Skin Effects Day Cream SPF 30 ($12.74): This day cream works beautifully for all skin types, and offers broad UVA and UVB protection from the sun. In fact, the carton boasts a recommendation by the Skin Cancer Foundation. Formulated with glycolic acid, this cream has moisturizing ingredients to plump and hydrate all day long. It’s also a good treatment for wrinkles. Some experts do not advise using glycolic acid during pregnancy because of the risk of birth defects but there has been no conclusive evidence to link the two. If you want to err on the side of caution, use a day cream that’s not formulated with glycolic acid, such as Dr. Jeffrey Dover Skin Effects Brightening Day Cream SPF 50, ($14.99)
4. Yes to Cucumbers Natural Glow Facial Towelettes ($4.49): These value-priced towelettes are extremely refreshing, especially for pregnant women on the go. They’re great for gentle cleansing and makeup removal. If you’re too tired to move your legs (and this will happen often), just stash a set by your nightstand and use daily.
5. Sally Hansen Foot Pumice in Lavender ($7.99): Nothing gives your tootsies some rest and pampering like a good foot scrub, and this one is great for spa days. Plus, the lavender is very gentle and soothing. Another good foot treatment specifically for pregnant women is Burt’s Bees’ Mama Bee Leg and Foot Creme ($9.00), which is a luxurious treat formulated with peppermint oil and rosemary extract to soothe and calm the tired feet.
All the products listed in the video, and above, are available at CVS/pharmacy stores and website. You can also earn value points through the CVS ExtraCare Beauty Club (free to join) where you’ll get $5 more for every $50 you spend using your BeautyClub Rewards card on qualifying beauty products. Don’t forget to participate in our Gorgeous Giveaway and win one of five $50 CVS Beauty Club cards. Contest ends on Sunday, October 14 at 11:00 pm.